Thursday, January 5, 2023

Feeling Good with Spring in January!

If you're reading this from the Washington, DC area, you are probably enjoying the unseasonably warm weather (as long as you don't spend too much time pondering the "why" of this weather). I'm sure the temps will plunge again soon enough, but for now, it's a great opportunity to get outside for anything and everything. It's also the perfect time to take stock of your resolutions, if you made any. Or, if you didn't set specific NY resolutions, it's still a great time to assess your progress toward your healthy living goals. 

So how am I doing? I have definite issues with grocery shopping. Even when I don't go to the store hungry (cardinal rule of grocery shopping #1: go to the store full), I am definitely an impulse buyer. And the impulse buying is compounded exponentially when I break cardinal rule of grocery shopping #2: don't bring your kids shopping with you. :) Not all of my impulse buying involves unhealthy snack foods - I'm just as likely to throw a new vegetable in my cart, or to buy a different nut mix just because it's on sale. But regardless, I am working this year on buying LESS food but doing MORE with what I have. Part of making that happen is better meal-planning, and part of it is going to the store with a very specific list. Because a little impulse shopping is ok, but it should reasonably account for less than 10% (or even 5%) of your cart.

In any event, this week I made a homemade tomato sauce for pasta. Not the best sauce ever made, but it tasted fresher than the jar sauce, and slightly charred tomatoes are delicious with some fresh parmesan. 

A little home-cooking goes a long way.



In other news, the first edition of the 2023 Runner's World magazine came out, and my humble mention was included. On pretty much the last page of the magazine and at the bottom of that page, but I'll take my 5 seconds of fame! Really trying to show my kids that it's possible to make your dreams happen if you just TRY. Cheesy, cliched, and totally falling on deaf ears. Or is it? ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Mid-Month & Cruising Along

Somehow it's almost mid-January already. As even my 9-year old has said, time sure does fly by the older you get (he's a bit of an o...